Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Current Status Summary
As of 2007, St Matthew's Church, in her 105th year, has both English and Mandarin congregations, serving people from all parts of the island. After about 77 years at Neil Road, she re-located to Eng Hoon Street in Tiong Bahru in 2006. Begun as a Cantonese congregation, Chinese Singaporeans are still the majority, although the Cantonese congregation has moved to St. Andrew's Cathedral, Singapore.
The total church population is estimated to be about 400. There are about 170 English-speaking persons (including English-speaking Chinese) in the English congregation, and about 120 Mandarin-speaking Chinese in the Mandarin congregation. There are on average 28 youth in the English Youth Service and the same number of children in the English Children's Ministry. The Mandarin Youth Fellowship has 6 youth and the Mandarin Children's Ministry an average attendance of 9 children.
During World War II
Historically, the Neil Road site and the present site were near two of the places used to gather and screen Chinese men aged 18 to 55 for the Sook Ching massacre in 1942: the present Police Cantonment Complex, and the area between Singapore General Hospital and Tiong Bahru Road.
The present building at 1K Eng Hoon Street was dedicated to the glory of God on 7 May 2006 by the Most Reverend Dr John Chew Hiang Chea (周贤正大主教), who is the 3rd Archbishop of the Church of the Province of South East Asia as well as the 9th Bishop of Singapore.
Pastors & Staff
- Revd Stephen Lim Thiam Yew (林添友牧正) - Vicar
- Revd Thong Tang Hiong (汤郑雄牧师) - Priest (Mandarin congregation)
- Mr Anthony Fong - Administrative Officer
- Ms Cindy Yam - Administrative Staff
Location & Contact Details
1K Eng Hoon Street (英云街), Singapore 169796.
- email: email@example.com
- Tel: (65) 6224-9909 (English) / (65) 6224-9919 (Mandarin)
- Fax: (65) 6222-4491
- Emergency hotline: (65) 9188-6880
Services & Times
- 9.00am English Service (2nd & 4th week Holy Communion)
- 9.00am Children's Ministry
- 11.30am Youth Service
- 11.00am Mandarin Service (1st & 3rd week Holy Communion)
- 11.00am Children's Ministry
- 2.00pm Youth Fellowship
- 2.00pm Senior Citizens' Fellowship (2nd & 4th week)
- 8.00pm Night of Power: English Monthly Prayer Meeting (3rd Friday of the month) @ Level 4 Joy Room
- 7.30pm Mandarin Monthly Prayer Meeting (Last Friday of the month) @ Level 2 Sanctuary
- Sundays - 8.00am to 2.00pm
- Mondays - Offices are closed
- Tuesdays to Fridays - 9.30am to 5.30pm
- Saturdays - 9:30am to 3.00pm
- Wikipedia: Anglican Diocese of Singapore
- Directory of Churches in The Diocese of Singapore website
- National Council of Churches of Singapore, "A Guide To Churches & Christian Organisations in Singapore 2005-2006", page 15
- "St Matthew's 100" (St Matthew's Church Annual, 2002)
- "St Matthew's Church 98th Anniversary" (St Matthew's Church Annual, Sep 2000)
- ^ The Venerable Seow Chai Pin, Archdeacon of Singapore: "St Matthew's 100", page 3.